Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Announcements!

Ok, so I have 2 important announcements to make regarding this blog. Everybody listen up!
1. ANYONE CAN NOW COMMENT ON THIS BLOG! That's right, ANYONE! You no longer need a blog/AIM/whatever to comment on it. You can even comment anonymously if you want! The possibilities are endless! So comment everyone!
2. I have *officially* entered this blog in a contest of sorts that BU is having. There's a newsletter for the London program, and the people at Student Life are going to pick the best 4 student blogs to feature in the newsletter! The authors of these 4 blogs will win LONDON EYE TICKETS! (A word about that below). This isn't a "go to this website and vote for me" type of contest, it's all up to the people at student life to choose, as far as I know. But send me good vibes, everyone!
Note: For those of you that know me, you'll know that I have a lot of trepidation about going on the London Eye. I'm generally not very good with ferris wheels. I know it's a weird thing to be scared of, but I saw someone on Maury that was afraid of pickles once, so this isn't as bad. However, since I'm in London and everyone I know that's been there has said OMG YOU HAVE TO GO ON THE EYE, I think I'm going to go if I win the tickets. We'll see how I do. I'll probably have to bring some people with me for moral support, but I don't know how many tickets we'd win (this is all hypothetical, of course- I'm sure most people have much better blogs than I do).

Onto my day!
So today I had the second meeting of the "Meeting the Writer" class, which was really interesting because we actually had a writer come in and talk to us today. Aida Bahr talked to us about the short story we read for today and about the problems of translating stories in general. I love talking to writers, finding out about their creative process, etc. She talked about how she liked leaving the end of her stories rather ambiguous so that readers could "continue the story for themselves" and so she could always leave them wanting more. It was really, really cool to talk to her, she was a really nice person.
Tonight I'm probably hanging out with some of my friends. I don't know where we're going, but it's going to be pretty awesome!
- Miranda

4 comments:

  1. I like it when the end is sort of ambiguous too. It is great at my level (elementary my dear Watson!)for promoting discussion and making the kids realize that they also have to contribute to the story to understand it.
    About the Eye... You are a brave girl Miranda if you do it. I don't think I could do it, but on the bright side, I am not afraid of pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to hear that you are entering your London blog in a contest. Dad and I were just saying yesterday how much we have enjoyed reading the posts and what a good writer you are. You really make the reader feel like they are taking part in your day, and your observations regarding different sites and their connections to history are very insightful! Keep up the great work!
    Love, your proud Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The London Eye: I say the Ayes have it, aye matey? You are writing a very fun blog; in fact, I purposely seek it out everyday. Thanks for opening it to everyone, including your aunt Jenny, who sends good vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WooHoo! Though I don't comment much, I am reading! Have a great time Miranda!

    ReplyDelete